Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Improv in the Garden


yet another gnarly tree

… and not only did Karen and I manage to get (uhm) around rules about painting (or, not) at The Huntington, but we also, erm, redecorated a bit to provide better views from their benches. We’re very dangerous, reckless gals. Don’t let word get out, now.

This pathway is the last sketch/painting of the afternoon. When we were both done, we looked at each other’s work and realized that we’d chosen opposite halves of the path. I chose the gnarly tree on the left side of the path, and Karen did a really pretty job of capturing of the right side, further back.

Here’s a photo.




Here are a few more little sketches from The Huntington (is that like “THE Ohio State University”?) lilypond, as well. It was sort of a grey day, with thick clouds. It made for soft, mostly consistent lighting through the afternoon and kept things cool so we could work out in the open, not just under the shade. A nice way to spend an afternoon…





If I label this as 'plein air', you guys are okay with that? The more formal definition says that it pertains to paintings done outside, in natural light... But, for me, I see it broadly, 'plein air' = 'outside', and that's how I'll label the outside/plein air stuff - - sketches, paintings, whatever. Close 'nuff?
Enough dawdling and typing. I need to go run (back at it. On the treadmill. Maybe slow and long today).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better be careful, you know what they do with reckless artists like you two. That tree has the beginnings for an interesting figure study, perhaps a sculpture. I don't go there nearly enough, and it is in my backyard. I would guess that they wouldn't be upset with pastel work there.

Wendee said...

No kidding ...

Jane LaFazio said...

love your tree and how you added the darker, thicker lines. It looks very much like a figure, as Robin said.
excuse, I must now go and call the huntington authorities!

Wendee said...

Thanks Jane. Amazing how trees will look like long-limbed dancers, posing for us, huh?
Boy, dont I feel like I'm on the lam? ...