Friday, May 23, 2008

Friday!


20080523_hand Click to see this photo's flickr page

"Hands confirm what we see, define what we feel and allow us to touch the spirit of design." - Bryce Rutter

I've been thinking a lot about hands lately. I have my students working on mobility/medical devices projects, so we are looking at grips, walkers, wheelchairs. It goes beyond trying to figure out ergonomics; I see my students working hard to gain empathy for other people and trying to find solutions that would help people accomplish very basic tasks.

This week, I listened to an online hand ergonomics seminar. There are some nice thoughts that I took away from the seminar that really transcended the anatomy and science. I find that I really want to spend time drawing hands again (and maybe feet) and writing from my lecture notes.

But for now, do this:

Take your hand off your mouse. Stop scrolling down and Just do it.
Okay. Put your hand over your chest, close your eyes and breathe,
and know that I appreciate your visit here and send my love to you for the long weekend.

A special hello to my twitter posse. Thanks, guys. xox -w

2 comments:

Jane LaFazio said...

Hello Wendy dear! I've been remiss at visiting ANY of my fave blogs...Yes, hands...I am so thankful for the use of mine, I used them constantly in my art making. I'm so humbled by artists who must, by neccessity use their mouth or feet to hold a paint brush or pencil to draw..The creative spirit will find a way...
xoxox

Desiree's Designs said...

I too am so thankful for mine. I see the struggles Jennifer has with only partial use of one, we don't realize how important they are in every part of our lives.