Saturday, December 04, 2010

Reverb10: One Word

I'm taking inspiration from a 31-day blogging challenge called reverb10, responding to writing prompts that are designed to allow bloggers to reflect on 2010 and to send out reverberations for 2011. You can find out more about it here.

Day 1 – One Word. Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?

I read the posts every January: declare your intentions for the new year; declare your ONE WORD.
I usually get around to thinking and writing and setting my ONE WORD, oh, in February. It's usually a struggle to sustain focus on this ONE WORD through the whole year. This year was no different. One word for how I feel about that could be: Chagrin.

So, honestly, I wasn't going to even bother thinking about one word that sums up the year. But, in doing a few more day's worth of writing to the prompts and looking at the words that appeared, and reflecting on the many words that had come before, I've discovered, quite clearly the word for this year. Through it all, one word has emerged with a steady beat and rhythm, strong and unyielding.

One word, one name: Norm.

I've written about Norm, here.

For next year, the word/name/memory 'Norm' will continue, in spirit. I know this because I want 2011 to be Fierce (in the non-scary, non-angry, non-aggressive sort of way that I interpret the word). I'm also resurrecting a phrase from a few years back as well: Run fast and true.

I'll keep you posted.

0 comments: