Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Rain

It had been a long week at work, and I’d been spending my time after dinner either at the gym or in the jacuzzi, and that's about all my brain could deal with. And then there’s all this rain, too. I had Joy come over, and we headed off to sit and soak, two tired design gals. I don’t bother turning on the bubbles for the jacuzzi and enjoy just having the quiet. For whatever reason, the water circulation pump was off as well, so the water was absolutely still. It’s amazing how clear the water can be when it’s that still, lit from beneath the surface. And then, it started to rain. Joy and I figured we were wet anyway, so it wouldn’t hurt to stay a bit.

Then we saw this:

The rain would hit the surface of the water, bouncing back droplets in response. Ripples spread across the water, breaking the calm, a pattern of circles, with a certain lulling rhythm. Joy noticed that if you held your hand, palm up, just at the surface of the water, you could feel the cold drops, falling, while the rest of your hand remained nice and warm.

We both thought, “Wow, how cool is this?”

It’s the everyday things that, when you let them unfold on their own, often present the greatest treasures of all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THESE! I have been mesmerized by the same sight many times and could never imagine how to capture it. I'm in awe of your abilities and am thrilled to have been able to see this work. Thank you!

Wendee said...

Thank you Dinah. I'd been spending hours staring at the water in the pool and jacuzzi ... the lights, reflections, waves .. and that particular night really inspired me; you slow down to try and capture the moment in your mind ... to hopefully get it out on paper..