Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A matching pair




She: You know what I was doing last Valentine’s Day?
He: Hm. Sorting your socks?

[detour:
If I were sorting my socks on Valentine's Day, you might be tempted to suspect that part of it might have been that there weren’t too many other distractions with which to canoodle away. Mayyyyybe. Well, I happen to have a great washer and dryer and really enjoy doing my laundry. The reality was closer to the notion that I would have much rather been doing something I enjoy - doing laundry and sorting socks - than putting up with, how shall we say, mmmm, really inadequate company. No, I’ll just say it: really lame guys. At least with laundry, you know you’ll end up with something nice, clean, warm and comforting to snuggle up with, right? ... um, Anyway.]

He, continuing, smiling, with full knowledge of all that: … because we both know how much you enjoy sorting your sock drawer.
She: Maybe. No, wait. Well, you know I used to do laundry on Fridays, and Valentine’s Day was in the middle of the week last year, so … probably not. Nope, no socks. That’s not what I had in mind.
He: Okay, then. What were you doing on Valentine’s day last year?
She: Well, gee. Hoping for a man like you!
He: … shucks …

Ooooo, that’s so mushy!

No, I don’t make these up.

====

I’ve been reading different thoughts on Valentine’s Day that have been posted. I know there’s a lot of romance in the air, but am also mindful that there are difficult emotions involved too: childhood spitefulness, empty detachment in adults, defiant bravado, disappointment.

[sigh]

I wish everyone a bit of warmth; one good peaceful moment filled with gratitude and love.

But (bounding back), well, remember, it is Valentine’s Day, after all. ;)

Warm hugs and socks to you all!

And especially you! Mwah!
xox,
-w

0 comments: