Friday, January 07, 2011

Reverb10: Photo

I'm taking inspiration from a 31-day blogging challenge called reverb10, responding to writing prompts that are designed to allow bloggers to reflect on 2010 and to send out reverberations for 2011. Yes, I'm sorta running behind. You can find out more about it here.

Prompt 25 – Photo – a present to yourself
Sift through all the photos of you from the past year. Choose one that best captures you; either who you are, or who you strive to be. Find the shot of you that is worth a thousand words. Share the image, who shot it, where, and what it best reveals about you.

You'd think that there'd be plenty of pictures, what, with J being a photographer and all. But no, he's focused (arr) on landscapes. If there are any pictures of me in them, chances are that they're posed, in front of really great scenery, and taken with a timer.Not a lot of spontaneous candid shots. I'm not a fan of taking self-portraits, either, because it's hard to get a nice shot of one's self when one's arms are so short (ahem). So, this went pretty quickly, as there were, sadly, very few to choose from.

20100624_Leaf

At school. Shot by me.
I'm hoping for more of this in 2011: "Oh, look at that! ", for pauses to stop and enjoy the small details, often overshadowed by the large sweeping landscapes.

GettyVilla_PotW

At the Getty Villa. Blogged here. Shot by me.
This summer, we didn't go on quite the extensive road trip that we'd have liked. And we I moped a little lot about it. When we went to the Villa for my birthday, we moseyed up Pacific Coast Highway, had breakfast in Santa Monica, wandered around the Getty, then drove further up the coast to have dinner at one of the places we'd go to when I was living in Oak Park. We didn't think of it as a staycation day-trip, but that's what it was. And we had a great time.

I'm hoping for more of this in 2011: Keeping an open mind and heart to the adventures nearby, to revisit and enjoy what's here in Southern California and to enjoy images of the two of us, regardless of what they look like.

0 comments: