Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Pear Honey Cranberry Sauce


Oh, that’s a nice, um… pear?

1/2 cup sugar
about 2 cups canned pears (about two 15oz cans), drained (I use the reserved juice for part of the water, above), and diced, medium
12oz fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
1 cup honey (Oh my. Lots and lots of sweetness in this one. Who's counting calories? Heck, you're having turkey and pumpkin pie with this as well, aren't you?)
2 tsp (or to taste) fresh lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest

Heat the water and sugar to boiling. Stir and cook until the sugar is dissolved.
Add the drained pears and mix.

Stir in the frozen cranberries and honey. Mmm.
Cook, stirring, until pretty much most of the cranberries pop and the syrup thickens a little. Do not overcook – the syrup will continue to thicken as it cools.

Cool.
Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest.
Refrigerate (overnight is good) and serve cold.

Store up to one week.
===
For you, Jane.



I even had a glass (most of) of white zin with it (Jane's influence). I figured it was safer than coffee, hot chocolate or water. Because while I’d be in trouble with the coffee, chocolate or water, I’d never, ever reach over and swish my brush in a wine glass by mistake.

[Ahem]

Okay.
So that felt good.

Somewhere, I think I can hear Karen clapping with joy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! I've been waiting for this one! I hope it comes out as good.. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you... Woo Hoo... Love me some Cranberry Sauce!
-Anonymous Hungry at work...

Wendee said...

Oh wow. I thought I sent you this. Did you want the, um, garlic and orange roasted yams and potato recipe, too? Was there anything else? I forget..
You're at work way too late on a Friday, Anon.

Jane LaFazio said...

ya hoo indeed. Thanks for the recipe Wendee! I printed it out and will now make a turkey to go with it! yum.
Hmm white zin...it's not quite a pomegranate martini, but it'll do!